Monday, November 14, 2005

What he said

What He Said
What could my mother be
to yours? What kin my father
to yours anyway? And how
did you and I meet ever?
But in love
Our hearts have mingled
like red earth and pouring rain.
  Cempulappeyanirar
 
This poem by the Tamil poet Cempulappeyanirar is another of my favorites. Almost haiku like, this poem
compresses so much imagery and feeling within so few lines. The images of love and longing have rarely been
expressed better. The last two lines are pure genius .Try as I might I cannot seem to come up with words to
express the thoughts evoked by those two lines. Monsoon in
India is a special time, the smell of rain in the air,
a longing heart and a light breeze.Perfect.He really has captured the essence of that moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home